Sunday, December 11, 2011

Fun Twist on a Journal

Last week when I showed you my Christmas Planner, I told you I'd show you a few variations on this idea.  Here are a couple of journals, an adult version and a teen/tween version, and also a cookbook, all out of the same basic supplies.


A couple years ago in the October 2007 conference session of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Elder Henry B. Eyring gave a wonderful talk about journal keeping called "O Remember, Remember".  I LOVED this talk, maybe because I'm not a very good journal writer and this is really something I need to work on.  Anyway, shortly after this, my sister-in-law, Alana, brought a cute journal for us to make at our traditional Thanksgiving craft fest.  So I decided to combine the two and add Elder Eyring's talk to these fun, twist on a journals to make a cute gift.

The basic "how-to" is the same as the Christmas Planner.  However, the tabs for these journals are as follows:  Goals, Accomplishments, Adventures and Travels, Books I've Read, Favorite Scriptures and Quotes, and Blessings.  As I said, I made a Teen version, too. For those tabs I used: Goals, Favorite Songs and Artists (since this changes week to week, it's fun to remember), Books I've Read, Friends Info., Travels and Adventures, and Blessings.  I also dressed these up a bit more than the Christmas book by adding quotes to each title page and matting each title and quote with either one or two layers of cardstock and/or scrapbook paper.
On the left is the front title (pocket) page.  On the right is a sample section title page.
For each tab, I sectioned off about 5 pages and then left the rest of the tablet for the Blessings section.  In the front pocket (inside page) I added a shortened version of Elder Eyring's talk.  In this talk, he speaks about every day writing down "how I had seen the hand of God blessing our family." And as you pay more attention, you'll notice more blessings - even if it's little things like a neighbor helping out or someone letting you go in front of them at the grocery store.  If you would like to make your own, you can download them all here:
Titles and Quotes
Titles and Quotes - Teens
O Remember, Remember
This is two pages, that I print back to back, cut down to size, and then fold it backwards so the title is on the front.


In the picture at the top, you'll also see a Recipe book.  Cheyenne made that for Natalie a year or so ago for Christmas.  This is a place Natalie can jot down her favorite recipes she got from 4-H, or while she's cooking at home.  It has the sections of Breads, Meats & Main Dishes, Cakes & Desserts, Cookies, Candy, and Misc.  Cheyenne also found some cute food quotes to go with a couple of them:  "Man cannot live by bread alone...he needs peanut butter and jelly to go with it"; "You do not like them, so you say. Try them, try them, and you may. Try them and you may, I say."; "You get what you get, so don't throw a fit!"; and "The problem - how to get 2 lbs. of chocolate home in a hot car. The solution - eat it in the parking lot."  She also decorated it with cute cooking stickers.


These make great (thrifty) gifts.  I made the journals for my friends, ladies I visit for church, my girls made them for their friends, and I made them for my children's teachers.  I got rave reviews from them!  I even had the mom of one of my daughter's friends (who I didn't know at the time) call and tell me how much she loved it. Really! That made me feel happy.  The best was when I actually saw them using them.  Quite a few of those who received them would take them to church meetings to take notes in.  I have loved mine to keep track of all the books I've read - found out that I read about 2 books every month. :)  I also used the Quotes section to keep track of my favorite scriptures, but also the funny things my kids would say. It's fun to look back on that now.  If you decide to try this, I love to hear about and see your version.  Let me know!


This post was feature by:
{Junk in their Trunk} Ladybird Ln


15 comments:

Julie said...

I never had a journal, but I daughters did. I would like it you shared your here:

http://juliejewels.blogspot.com/2011/12/show-off-your-stuff.html

Michelle Paige said...

Your journals are so fun! Thanks for your comment on my blog a few days ago. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by.

Blissful & Domestic said...

These are great!! Thanks so much for linking up and sharing at my Feature Friday Linky Party!

Danielle @ Blissful & Domestic
http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I love how your journals turned out! I also did these as gifts last Christmas and I would love you to see! I love what you did with yours! The tabs are such a nice touch! I am your new follower friend! Hope you come visit me soon :) Here is the link if your inserted in seeing mine. http://joy-n-jesus.blogspot.com/2010/12/christmas-journals.html

Unknown said...

These are gorgeous! You did a fabulous job! Wow. I would love to receive one of those as a gift. So glad you linked up at Shine on Fridays!!

Becka @ Just a Bunch of Momsense said...

I LOVE how you did your embellishments, but most of all, I love your ideas for the tabs. I've been making only homemade gifts for Christmas this year, and this one will be perfect for my 11 year old daughter. Thanks for sharing! Merry Christmas! ;)

Kara at Petals to Picots said...

This is such a great idea! I would love for you to share it at my "Best of 2011" link party, along with any other posts you are most proud of from this year. www.petalstopicots.com
~Kara

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Lovely! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday! Merry Christmas!

Melanie
www.bearrabbitbear.com

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

You did a beautiful job! Thank you so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday! Hope to see you again this week :)

Ladybird Ln said...

What a fun idea, and a great blog! I am going to show this off tomorrow, and excited to be your newest follower!

Carlee
www.ladybirdln.com

Crafty Brooklyn Army Wife said...

This is great. TFS!! I'm stopping by from Get Outta My Head Please linky party and your newest follower here, FB and Pinterest.

Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.com/2012/01/hollys-first-coat.html

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

Love these journals what a fab idea!!

Thanks for linking up to Serenity Saturday
Hope to see you there again tomorrow
http://serenityyou.blogspot.com/2012/01/serenity-saturday-22.html

Natasha xx

Kathryn Pepper said...

I seriously LOVE these! Great idea! I would LOVE if you would link these up to my NEW link party!!

Kathryn
http://www.destinationcraft.blogspot.com/2012/01/destination-cutesy-monday.html

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

I LOVE these! I love the dividers on your journals--so creative! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Black Party of 6 said...

I LOVE these Thank You so much for the idea with the conference talk, I will be making these with my achievement days girls for there gratitude journals and I will be making each one of my kids one so I can journal things about them, this is also a great idea for a baby shower gift.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...