Well, Spring has officially sprung! The weather has been beautiful here this week, my kids were even begging to turn on the sprinklers yesterday (okay, it wasn't really THAT warm.) Easter is only a couple weeks away now and I thought I'd share with you this really cute idea for an Easter bouquet. My friend, Mary Jo, found this fun idea on Pinterest (I'm sorry, I don't know who to give original credit to), and we made them along with another friend,
a couple weeks ago.
This is a very easy project and very inexpensive, too. I'm pretty sure you could find everything at the Dollar Store.
Eggs - number depends on the size of the container. Here I used 3 pkgs. (36 total) of the big eggs (from Walmart) and 2 of the little eggs (from the dollar store.)
Container - mine was a blue plastic Easter bucket
Foam - a foam block trimmed a little for height, and then sliced off the corners so it would fit in the bucket
Easter grass or moss or whatever you like to cover up the foam
Paint - silver spray paint & black craft paint
I started with my bucket. I bought silver spray paint, hoping to get a look as shiny-like as the eggs themselves. The lid on the can was that kind of silver, but it didn't come out as a mirror finish. It looked like this:
Nice, but not the look I wanted, so I decided to try some black paint on it to see if it would bring out some of the details and make it look sort of zinc-ish. Sorry for the lack of pictures here, but it was a fast process and I couldn't paint and take pictures at the same time. I was also talking to my sister on the phone and was supposed to be at my friend's house in a few minutes. :) Nothing like waiting until the last minute. Anyway . . . I dipped my dry paint brush in a little black paint and just dabbed, brushed, pounced over a little area. Then quickly grabbed a paper towel and wiped as much as I could off and smeared it around some more. That's the whole technique, paint and rub, paying particular attention to the knobs and details I wanted highlighted. Here's how it turned out:
If I would have thought about it, I would have cut off the little knob that held the handle on, but oh well, it's not that noticeable now.
Next, start sticking the skewers into the eggs. All my big eggs already had holes in them, and the little ones were styrofoam. Put the foam into your container and start sticking in the eggs. I'm no flower arranger, so this was a little stressful for me. My basic idea was taller in the middle, then get smaller toward the edge, also watching not to put the same colors next to each other. When I was done, I filled in holes with the little eggs. I did break some of the skewers to vary the height also. Finally, tie a cute bow - I'm also terrible at bow tying, so Mary Jo tied mine and glue it onto the container. I also wrapped the ribbon around the whole bucket. Then fill with grass. It was a fun, pretty quick little project.
It's really so much more fun to craft with friends. Thanks Mary Jo and Karie!