Monday, March 19, 2012

Hot Pads and Lots of Fat Quarter Ideas

In early February, I signed up for a fun fabric swap that Amanda at Ninth Street Notions put together.  We were instructed to pick out 5 fat-quarters of material and send them to our partner.  Then  make something out of the fabric you were sent.  Sounds fun, huh!

My first task, go shopping - I can do that.  I found some really, really cute, super fun material to send to my partner.  I wish I had taken a picture or paid attention to the name or something, but it was really bright turquoise and red, polka dots and flowers of different sizes.  (I think I'm going to have to go get me some to make some more of these projects I found.)

Then I waited to see what material I'd be working with.  In the meantime, I started looking for uses of fat-quarters and pinned a bunch of ideas (I'll share in a minute.)  Finally my material came and this is what I got to work with:


The funny thing is, I have a table runner half finished with very similar material/colors.  So then I had to narrow down my project list.  A table runner was out, like I said, I have a similar one.  I didn't really need another bag, my sister has made me a bunch of them.  Oh, and I'm not a really great seamstress -  wait, I'm not even good enough to be called a seamstress, let's just go with sewer - so I didn't want to tackle anything too tricky yet.  Finally my inspiration came as my husband burned his hand, again, while taking something out of the oven and started cussing and grumbling about how we need some good hotpads.  That's it!


So I bought some Insul-Bright batting - it's batting with a metallic/mylar stitched into one side, making it heat or cold reflective.  Like this:



Then I found this super easy tutorial here.  This was so simple, and she did such a good job of it, I didn't redo the tutorial.  I'll just share what I learned.  I tore the strips the length of the fat-quarter, giving me enough length for two strips.  Same with the backing piece, so after I finished the first one I had another one all ready to go - matching set. :) Also, after looking a little closer at the hot pad Bill burned his hand on and seeing it did use the Insul-Bright, too, I used two layers of the batting, making sure that the metallic side (which reflects the heat) was facing out.   It was really quite fun and rewarding to have something I made myself to be so useful. lol  I gave them a good test and am happy to report no burnt hands.

As I said, I found a lot of fat-quarter ideas, some simpler than others, so at $1-2/fat-quarter you can try out many of these fun things:
50 Scrap & Remnant Ideas
Sprocket Pillows - this is really cute!
Cloth Napkins
Ipod/Camera Case - if you noticed, I didn't use the gray/orange print from up above. This is what I'll be making with that material, a case for my new video camera I got for my birthday.
Handbag - really want to get more of the turquoise/red material and make this
Tiered Ruffled Skirt - my girls might be getting some of these soon. :)
Poochie Bags - the name makes me laugh, but they're cute.

That's just a few that I pinned, there are TONS of ideas/tutorials out there for fat-quarters.  So grab a few quarters and have some fun sewing!


This post was featured by:
 

  Pin It

15 comments:

Charlene@APinchofJoy said...

Glad to hear about the Insul-Bright - new to me. Great use for fat quarters and thanks for the additional links! I would love it if you would consider linking to Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy, a Sunday through Thursday link party for ideas that make life easier, better and more fun!

Rachel said...

What fun little hotpads! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
Rachel
adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

These are SO cute . . .Thanks for all your bring to the blogging world ;) I am nominating you as a Versatile Blogger - if you've been nominated before, just consider yourself extremely multifaceted :)
http://www.cameronhomemade.com/2012/03/and-id-like-to-thank.html

(and my computer is freaking out tonight, so I apologize if this comment shows up multiple times!!)

Blissful & Domestic said...

love this idea. I love all the things you can make with just a fat Quarter. So fun!


Thanks for linking up to Blissful and Domestic's Feature Friday Linky Party. You Rock!

Danielle
Blissful & Domestic

Erin said...

These are great and thanks for sharing all the links to some other great ideas! :-)

Erin
takingtimetocreate.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

LOVE fat quarters!! Thanks for all the great ideas. Thanks for sharing with us at Link It UP Thursday.

Kathryn Pepper said...

Fat quarters are definitely very versatile! Great job! Thanks for linking up to the Cutesy Monday link party!

Kathryn
destinationcraft.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

Very cute! I'm so glad you joined the fabric swap, and I hope to have another one soon that you'll be a part of. Thanks for linking up your project to I Made It! Monday.

Unknown said...

I absolutely love this! I'd love for you to share it at our link party!
http://crafting-cousins.blogspot.com/2012/03/what-i-wore-sunday-week-10.html

~Natalie @ Crafty Cousins

Holla! We're your newest followers! :)

JOY @ http://joysjotsshots.blogspot.com/ said...

Great scrappy ideas! enJOYed
Found you on Two Sasters.

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

Thanks for linking up to Serenity Saturday link party. hope to see you there today!

Natasha xxx

Unknown said...

I love it when I can fix a grumble with a new project. Great job! Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays!

Onna said...

I have a bunch of those, never thought of something so useful! Thanks! :]

Unknown said...

I have so many scrap pieces of fabric...what a GREAT idea!! Plus my MIL is always in need of these:) Thanks so much for sharing @ Two Sasters!!

Katy @ Lolly Linens said...

These are cute, I made some just a few weeks ago out of fabric scraps from my shop www.lollylinens.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...