Monday, April 23, 2012

Fire truck birthday party

My sister, Leslie, is back with another great party idea:

My youngest son is a big fan of police, rescue and fire truck vehicles.  We do daily "drive-bys" if we are anywhere near the vicinity of our town fire station (and even when we aren't we somehow manage to end up driving by).  So, today we celebrated his 4th birthday in true Fire Truck Party style!



I knew he would love a t-shirt with a fire truck, but I could not find one in stores and what I could find online was either cheesy and/or expensive.  So, I found an imagine online that I liked, printed it off, and cut fabric shapes mimicking the online image.  I used knit fabric which does not fray (I actually used old t-shirts).  Then I ironed the shapes onto fusible interfacing and then ironed them onto a basic black t-shirt.  From past experience, I knew I would need to sew around the edges, but my sewing machine was giving me problems that night, so I decided to use embroidery floss which actually turned out a lot cuter, (I think).


He was pretty excited about it.



The fire fighters were awesome and the kids LOVED the tour.



We gave them this before we left.



Here are some of the ideas for the party we had after our trip to the fire station:

I am soooo not a cake decorator.  However, I can print and cut : ) so I found pictures online of a fire station, hydrant, etc., added a new truck, and made them into a cake!




The guests each choose one of these on their way home. 


We had a beautiful day and had the party outside.




Do you have any spring birthdays coming up?  I will be back to post two more party ideas over the next few weeks:  Skylanders and Batman! 








6 comments:

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

I love it! My son (almost 3) loves firetrucks, and I'm thinking of the fire station for next year (turning 4). This year I'm doing construction machines, since it's easy to do at home.

I'll certainly remember to bring the firefighters a treat as well, that is so sweet of you.


Jessica
stayathomeista.com

Little City Farm said...

I love that you got to tour the fire station - the kids must have loved that so much. Your shirt turned out great - thanks for sharing at our party this week.

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

What a fun party! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!

Alexis Tanner Lane said...

What a fun birthday party idea! And the shirt came out great! We actually just moved from PG so I know exactly what fire station you're talking about. ;-) I'm your newest follower!

Mandy said...

Adorable party and LOVE the t-shirt. My g-son's love fire engins. Thanks so much for sharing your projects at Project Queen's Link Party. You've been busy!

Unknown said...

Adorable birthday party!! The arrangements are simply marvellous. The cake, décor everything is looking elegant there. Loved this simple birthday cake. Planning to implement your awesome ideas for my nephew’s birthday party at one of Seattle venues. Everyone will surely like it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...