Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Spring Yarn Wreath

  I'm so excited about this project.  It's my first wreath, yes, I've never made a wreath before.  I didn't know how to hang them on my metal front door without the over-the-door hanger, to which my husband would object, I'm sure.  Then after this post, someone mentioned magnetic wreath hangers.  I finally found one at Christmas time and have been itching for a good wreath ever since.  I've been wanted to try a yarn wreath (because yarn wouldn't scratch my door) and have pinned several different yarn wreaths as inspiration.  Finally, I needed a little burst of color and some springiness after this drab, boring, pretty much brown winter.  So here it is:


And it was really quite simple, too.  If you want to make one, here's what you need:
Wreath form - I used a straw form and left the plastic wrapper on, it's just less messy that way
Yarn
Burlap
Felt for flowers
Ribbon - the rick rack I used is the BIG kind
Chipboard letters
Fusible interfacing
Glue gun

Not necessary, but helpful:
Lot's of family to tell you when your colors are even
Good music - my sister introduced me to the Walt Disney channel on Pandora and we tortured my daughter by singing along with it
Cadbury Mini Eggs - always good for a craft project, also good - chocolate covered cinnamon bears

So tried to be all scientific about measuring it all out and evenly dividing the wreath for colors, etc.  But it ended up not working very well anyway, so I'd just pick your main color and start wrapping.  In this case, I started a little off  the top (there was supposed to be another section of the green at the top) with the turquoise yarn.  I glued down the edge and started wrapping, occasionally gluing the yarn to the wreath.  When I got to where the green was to start, I tied the two colors together and glued it in place, leaving me with tails all over the back.  When it was all wrapped, I ended by gluing the last end down, and then trimming all the tails.  Okay, so I'm a little meticulous when it comes to crafting, thus the anxiety over measuring and marking it all out to begin with. Luckily, my sister, Leslie, was here and she coaxed me through the "it's not coming out even" part above and it was fine.


However, for the banner, my exact measurements worked really well.  I printed and cut out various sizes of triangles I had manipulated into banner shape so I could see which size fit best.  I knew I wanted "spring" on the wreath, so I laid out that many triangles on a ruler across the wreath.  I know Leslie is laughing at me right now, but it worked and saved me much frustration!
And now I can tell you that my flags are exactly 2 1/2" tall each. :)


After deciding on which size, I traced the paper onto a piece of cardboard to use as a template for tracing and cutting out the burlap.  Oh, after I traced the shapes but before I cut out the burlap, I ironed on some interfacing to the back side of the burlap.  This made it easier to cut, stiffened up the flags, and kept them from fraying as much.

I fully intended on stenciling the letters on with paint, but wanting this wreath to be done, I looked through my stash of scrapbook stuff for something easier.  That's when I came across some chipboard letters I had.  Perfect!!  I hot glued them on, then glued the flags on to the rick rack.  Glue one edge of the rick rack on the front of the wreath, then wrap around to the back, and then stretch the banner taut, and do the same on the other side.

For the felt flowers, I did two different kinds:  described here - just a circle cut into spiral and then rolled, and also my felt square just cut into one long strip and rolled.  The circle way worked a little better.  I glued all three of them together and then glued the whole group onto the wreath.

Finally, attach your ribbon to the top and hang it up.  I'm no bow-tyer, so this is the best I could come up with, but I'm happy with it.  My first wreath, it makes me happy every time I look at it.  Now I'm just hoping the wind doesn't blow it off the door.



This post was featured by:
Keeping It Simple  laughterandgrace.com







28 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks great!!! I love the colors:)

Leslie said...

It turned out so cute! I love the ribbon and the ric rac.

cheapcraftymama said...

That looks awesome! I would love for you to share it (and any other creations) at my new linky party- "Pin It and Win It Wednesday" @ www.cheapcraftymama.com!

Dixie n Dottie said...

This is so pretty! Love the colors! Great job!
http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/

Sarahsworld said...

Hi! I saw your link on Adventures of a DIY Mom. I love this wreath. Did it take a long time to wrap it?

http://sarahsworld-sarahsworld.blogspot.com/

Artsy VaVa said...

Your wreath is adorable!!!

Alexis Tanner Lane said...

This is so cute! I love the colors you used! I would love for you to link it up to my link party. I know my readers would love it too!
http://weliketolearnaswego.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-i-learned-wednesday-4.html

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

I love the colors. What a great way to welcome spring.

Jennifer said...

I love yarn wreaths...This one takes the cake! Great color combination and I love the burlap banner. Very cute!
I am starting a new series this week where I feature five of my favorite projects and I featured your wreath. http://www.laughterandgrace.com/fabulous-five/

Jennifer @ Laughter and Grace

Rachel said...

So cute! Love the colors. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
Rachel
adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

Trish Atkinson said...

This is SO cute! I love the colors you used, thanks for sharing!!

Decor To Adore said...

I am visiting via TT&J. I absolutely adore this project! So clever.

If you have a moment, please stop by my blog. I created a few spring crafts this week.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Michaela @ coveredinmodpodge.blogspot.com said...

I love your color choices!

Chrissy said...

This is so cute! I also love the colors! Would you consider sharing it over at my linky party?
http://www.thetaylor-house.com/2012/04/easter-basket-cake.html

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

This is a fantastic wreath. Great job. I hope you'll link this up to my Hippity Hop Easter Project Hop.

www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

Sugarr2518 said...

Very cute!! Love the color choice and that you added stripes:)

Trina said...

This is adorable! Visiting from Whimsy Wed. So cute!

Unknown said...

I love the colors and you make it look so easy. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays. Have a wonderful Easter.

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

I adore this spring bunting!! What a fun wreath. Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

I love this!!! The large ric rac and the spring bunting are awesome!

Unknown said...

Pretty wreath! I love the colors you chose!

Unknown said...

Love, love, love your color combo!! I have got to get on the ball and make a yarn wreath! I love them. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

Alexis Tanner Lane said...

Thanks for linking up to What I Learned Wednesday! I hope to see you again tomorrow!

Alissa@CraftyEndeavor said...

I love the bright fun colors!

Taylor-Ann said...

This is to stinking cute ( I kind of have an obsession with wreaths). What a great job. I would love it if you showed it off at my new linky party @ Kampenlane.com.

I can't wait to see what else you create.

~Taylor

Blissful & Domestic said...

I featured you today at Blissful and Domestic. Stop by and grab a button!

Danielle@Blissful and Domestic
www.blissfulanddomestic.com

Unknown said...

This is really REALLY cute, Kim! Love the colors, the stripes, the flowers...great job!!! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

Sherry said...

Your wreath is so charming! I discovered you on Project Queen and I'm now a follower; drop by for a visit when you can. Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...