Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cardigan with Ruching DIY

For a while now, I've been hunting for one of those long in the front, drapey kind of cardigans that seem to be so popular.  I figured anything that would hide some lumps and bumps is great for me. :)  I also wanted it to be a little more fun, not the same as everyone else around here who all seem to have bought them at the same store.  So a few months ago, while browsing through Ross's (love that store) I came across this awesome black cardigan.  It was a little different than the plain old boring because it has these cute knots down the front.  I didn't really want long sleeved (it was the beginning of summer when I found it) but it was only $7 so I went for it.  After bringing it home, I remembered I had found this tutorial for ruching the sleeves and had been waiting for something cute to try it out on. Perfect! However, after looking around the internet some more, I found an even easier way to do this - elastic thread. So here's my tutorial on ruching sleeves - great for sleeves that shrink in the wash, are stained, or just for putting a little fun into something plain.


Supplies:
Article of clothing
Elastic thread - coolest thing ever (or right now at least c: )
Matching color thread to garment
Marking utensil (tailors chalk, fabric marker, soap)
Sewing machine

Start by finding the middle of the sleeve. If your material will hold a crease, that is the easiest way.  Lay the sleeve flat and iron it.  My material was too soft, flowy thin to keep a crease, so I had to lay it on on my cutting mat, adjust the hem underneath, make sure each side was even, just make sure I was getting it in the middle.  A little more work, but really not that hard. When you find the middle, lay it out on a cutting mat, as I mentioned, and using a ruler and I actually used my mom's best trick of a pointy bar of soap, mark from the shoulder seam straight down the middle to the cuff.


Now comes the fun part, using the elastic thread. You're going to have the elastic thread in the bobbin and the matching color thread on top. You have to hand wind the bobbin, which only takes a few seconds, with just a little tension, you're not stretching the elastic out. Then just load the bobbin as normal, have your top thread in and starting at the seam on the shoulder, slowly stitch straight down the sleeve on the line you marked. Make sure to backstitch at the beginning and end. That's it! The hardest part is making sure you don't sew your sleeve shut, keep that bottom layer out of the way.
Kind of a weird picture. Not the best shirt to wear under it, but was just throwing it on for the picture. And I suppose I was trying to get a better picture of the sleeves, holding my arms out a little and that's why I look like I'm wearing football pads. lol  Anyway, there's the sleeves before and after. It was a fun simple little addition to spice up any top.
Ta Da!!
Linking up With:
House of Hepworths
Mine for the Making 
Southern Lovely 
Suzys Sitcom
Fireflies and Jelly Beans
Christinas Adventures
Yesterday on Tuesday
A Glimpse Inside
Frugalicious Me
Roca and Company
Happy Hour Projects
Ladybird Lane
Kojo Designs
The Creative Paige
Sassy Sites
Not So Simple Housewife
Creation Corner
Mommas Kinda Crafty
A Little Knick Knack
Home is Where my Story Begins
Mum of All Trades
DIY Crafts to Make

I'd love it if you follow me here and on Facebook!


18 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it!! I'm adding this to my list of things I must do :-) Are you sure you don't want to come and visit sunny warm CO.

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful idea! Especially for someone like me who can never get sleeves long enough!! Thanks so much for the inspiration!!

Amie {Kitty Cats and Airplanes} said...

Awesome! This looks great, thanks for sharing the how-to!

Shiloh said...

I love sleeves this length, and I never thought of the elastic thread. Thanks for posting this! I'm a new follower from Promote Yourself.:)

Leslie said...

That turned out so cute! I have an old cardigan that I love the color of, but am always annoyed by the sleeve length. I think this is just the thing I need to do to it... as soon as I get elastic thread.

Mamma Mia said...

This is a great post. Love your pictures.

Chantelle @ Mommyx3=Insanity said...

Hi I found you on the 20 below link party. Love this!! I will be buying elastic thread ASAP!! Oh the possibilities! I am also your newest follower and you are welcome to come check out my blog as well!

cherished bliss said...

Such a great idea! I have a question... how do you sew that without getting the bottom party of the sleeve in the way? I haven't been sewing long, especially in the clothing department and I just can't seem to figure out how. Thanks so much for the tutorial. : )

Maria Medeiros said...

Thank you for your visit! :D I appreciate it! I'm following your lovely blog! :D

paige said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
paige said...

great idea! Sleeves are always to long for my short arms! Thanks for linking up to the Creative Genius Link Party!

Whit said...

I love love love it. I have a shirt that has this and have been wondering how to do it. Thank you for the inspiration. I love it on a cardigan for sure. Thank you so much sharing and for linking up to our party Show and Share this week! Come on back this Wednesday to link up your current projects.

A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

TRICIA said...

Cute! Love the detail it adds!

Amy said...

Great idea to use elastic thread!! I had a "duh!!" moment while I read your post, how did I not think of using elastic thread!?!?!? :) Thanks so much for sharing. Found you on Somewhat Simple's link party and am your newest follower. :)

The mum of all trades said...

What a great idea. I would love you to share this post at my blog party this weekend. Hope you can make it.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! This is awesome~ You make it look and sound sooo easy.. I think this would be so fun to try! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo party.. can't wait to see what you try next!

Erin {Lavender and Lemon Drops} said...

Love the scrunched sleeves! I'm always pushing mine up anyway so this would make my life easier ;) Thanks for sharing!

Be Colorful Coastal said...

I think you should be a clothing designer! :0 I agree I have four or five of these hide all my sins tops and I love them but I am beginning to feel like they are a bit of a uniform when I see everyone wearing them. Guess a lot of us have some lumps and bumps. :) Your idea really does make it a bit unique and special. Thanks for linking this to Motivated Monday at BeColorful. I am so glad you shared this fun post.
Pam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...