Friday, October 14, 2011

PB/Choc Chip Cookie To Die For

Photo provided by the Idaho Potato Commission
This past week was a little crazy, that's why I only ended up with one post.  See my kids were out of school for Spud Harvest.  What's that you say?  Well, here in Idaho, potato country, the kids always get a fall break in order for them to help with the harvesting of potatoes.  Back in my day, it used to be a full two weeks, but then, a lot more kids were actually working in the spuds.  Now, it's more of a vacation week, with a very few helping with the harvest.  So we're grateful for a nice week and a day of fun.
 
We had one nice weather day in which we ripped out what was left in our garden.  The little four started swimming lessons - Billy is a little fish!  Maddie tries really hard and does a lot of splashing.  It took some practice, but Chloe and Jon will now put their heads under water.  All four made HUGE improvements since their first lesson, yeah!  The kids had a sleepover at my parents house including donuts for breakfast (big hit!) Wednesday and Thursday we had a little preview of winter and got a good couple of inches of snow.  Billy, Chloe, Maddie, and Jon even went out and built snowmen.  
 Finally, on Monday, Cheyenne was able to get a bunch of her friends together for a movie marathon at our house.  So naturally, I had to bake. :)  I always like to make some kind of treats when she (or any of the kids) have friends over.  So I went to Pinterest to find what delicious treat I had pinned and needed an excuse to try out.  *Side note, one thing I love about Pinterest is my wonderful friends who post awesome and incredibly motivating exercise quotes and routines and then the most delicious, decadent desserts.  Gotta love it!*
So here's my newest favorite cookie, which was a HUGE hit with all the kids at my house on Monday.  Bill almost didn't get any by the time he got home from work, oh, and I doubled the batch, too.  This recipe comes from How Sweet It Is.

Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips
makes about 18 cookies 
Delicious butter/peanut butter mixture!
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
8 tablespoons of salted butter, melted and cooled
6 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter, melted and cooled
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Add butter and peanut butter to a microwave safe bowl, and heat in 30 second increments until melted. (Took about 1 1/2 min.)  Let cool completely.
Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the cooled butter/peanut butter and sugars until they are combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add flour and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. (Mine wasn't crumbly at all.) I even used my hands to bring it all together. If necessary, add 1-2 teaspoons of milk, but I did not need this. Fold in chocolate chips.
Shape the dough into a ball the size of a golfball. (I went for more of walnut shaped, just a little smaller, made more cookies and they were still big.) Place on a baking sheet two inches apart and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. The centers should be soft and puffy. Do not over bake. Let cool completely then dig in!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Ashtyn heard about the sleepover and was very jealous. She said she didn't even have class till 10am the next day :-)
The cookies sound great. I'm going to try them today!

Mamma Mia said...

I'm going to make some today, also, to take to Kristen's. I figured she would be making them, too, but that's alright. We'll need lots. Thanks for the receipe, Kim.

Leslie said...

Oh, this post makes me feel like I need to be in Idaho for our fall break. I can smell the dirt in the air and feel my contacts scratching my eyes, just thinking about it.

J's mom said...

I would love it if you would link this to my link party, and any others you may have. Thanks, It just started :)
http://diycraftstomake.blogspot.com/2011/10/whacha-got-weekly-linky-party.html

The mum of all trades said...

What a beautiful picture and recipe to give us all a glimpse of American rural life!

Helen said...

When I was a child in the 1950s in Cheshire (UK) we had a 'potato picking' holiday at the end of May. I never heard of anyone actually picking potatoes and it developed into 'Whit week' holiday, but it was very interesting to hear of your spud week!

Unknown said...

They look yummy! Thanks for linking up!

xoxo,
Clydia {threemangoseeds.blogspot.com}

Megan Gunyan said...

Yummy! I'm totally trying these! They look delicious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...