Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Scripture Power / Super Hero Capes

Leslie's here today with a fun project:

This was a fun project Kim and I worked on together last year.  We both serve in our church primaries and last year's theme was on the scriptures.  Scripture Power is always one of the kid's favorite songs.  I wanted to make something fun they could use when we sang that song, but even more importantly, something that could help them realize the scriptures can give them superhero-like spiritual strength!  So, this is what we came up with:


The Scripture Power/Super Hero capes!

These were SUPER easy, no sewing necessary, and we made six in an afternoon!

1.  Get red, yellow, blue, and green fabric.  (I bought the cheapest, solid colored, cotton fabric I could find).  
2.  Cut a rectangle measuring about 36" x 22" for each cape.
3.  Iron on fusible interfacing (like this) to the back of a separate piece of contrasting colored fabric for the shield.
4.  Cut a shield shape in the contrasting colored fabric for each cape.  My shields measure about 8" x 8".  I used Kim's Cricut to cut my shields, but you could google "superman shield clip art", find a shape you like and print it to use as a template.  It is a simple shape to cut. 
5.  Iron on fusible interfacing to the back of a piece of fabric.
6.  Cut a "S" and "P" in this piece of fabric. 
7.  Peel off the paper from the interfacing of the letters.  Iron them onto the shield.
8.  Peel off the paper from the shield and iron it onto the center of the cape.


9.  Drape the cape around your little one and tie under their neck using the top corners of the rectangle. 

If you are more of a perfectionist like my sister : ),  you could make straps to go around the neck, but for my purpose, we only needed it to stay on for a 2 minute song, and this works just fine.  (I, also did a simple straight stitch around all the sides to keep them fraying too much, and then cut a fringe into 3 sides to help it fray there.)


Our kids testing out their new superhero strength.


When we used these in primary, we drew names of six kids to come up and wear them while we sang the song.  The primary theme  this year is, Choose The Right.  You could make something similar with the CTR logo.

I'm already thinking of using this pattern for a possible upcoming birthday party favor, with the guest's initial in the shield... but I'm sure my son will change party ideas four or five times before May!



Pin It


This post was featured by:
thecreativepaige.com  



20 comments:

LaVonne said...

That is a very cute idea. My 4 year old loves capes, and she'd love this. Thanks for posting it over at WFMW.

Enjoy the rest of your week.

Feeding Four said...

Cute idea. Saw it on Mom on Timeout. I'm your newest follower.

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

How fun!! Happy to have you at Things I've Done Thursday!! www.bearrabbitbear.com

Stephanie said...

What a fun idea--and they're so cute!

Cherilyn said...

Too Cute!! That is my boys favorite primary song. They would love a Scripture Power Cape. I am going to pin this! Thanks for sharing!
Cherilyn
http://farmwifejournal.blogspot.com/

Leah said...

I love this idea. I teach the children at my church and they all would have a blast with these!
thank you for sharing!

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

I wish I had a superpower because I would wear one of these adorable capes myself.

Kelsey said...

Love these! I'm doing a superhero themed b-day party for my little boy soon so these are perfect :) You did a great job and I know they had fun with them!!

I'd love for you to stop by and visit me over at http://tatteredandinked.blogspot.com sometime!!!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

These are SO cute! What a fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Unknown said...

How fun!! ALL my kiddos would love these. Thanks for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

Meaningful Mama said...

These are absolutely adorable. I just found you through Uncommon Slice of Suburbia.

Q @ JAQS said...

How fun. We make quilts for our boys too and they LOVE them.

Love for you to share this at my Wednesday's "Made by ME" linky party here:
http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/02/made-by-me-20-linky-party.html

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

So FUn! I'd love for you to link it up at my linky party. You could win $25 of free fabric just for linking up or leaving a comment:http://trophyw.blogspot.com/2012/02/linky-31-will-craft-forfree-fabric.html

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

What a FUN idea!!!!

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

these are super cute!!!

Thanks for sharing on Serenity Saturday

Natasha xxx

www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

What a fantastic idea! I am featuring it today:

http://www.thegunnysack.com/2012/03/who-was-stuffed-in-gunny-sack-week-27.html

Stop by and grab an I Was STUFFED button! :)

~Tonia

Rachel said...

How fun!! My kids would love those capes. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
Rachel
adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

These are such an awesome idea! I am running the summer Sunday school at my church this year and these would be an awesome thing to give the kids for completing the program! Yay.. thanks so much for the inspiration and for sharing with the Pink Hippo party!

Shannon said...

This is SUCH a great idea, I like the CTR idea too!!

Shannon @SewSweetCottage

Chocolate Inspector said...

Thank you for this idea!! It is so cute! I made these using a different pattern, but I couldn't have done it without your idea. Thank you for sharing this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...