Thursday, February 2, 2012

Valentine Topiary/Kissing Ball

Valentine's Day has always been a fun holiday for me, maybe because my birthday is the day before. lol  In grade school, I always looked forward to making our Valentine holders at school, picking out the coolest Valentines to hand out, making sure I did NOT put the boys names on the "love" Valentines, then looking through every one of them to see who gave me what.  Then when I was older, as my friends and I would walk past the office at school, I'd secretly wish and hope some of those flowers or balloons were for me.  Well, that never happened, lol, but I do remember one year when I was in high school that I came in to the kitchen for breakfast and my dad had left a little teddy bear and a card for me by my plate (my sister got something, too.)  I still have that bear; it was a total surprise and really meant a lot to me.  While my husband and I don't do much to celebrate (we celebrate for my birthday and Bill thinks it's a dumb made up holiday created by card companies), we usually celebrate with the kids - a candlelight dinner, heart pizza, a little surprise in the morning, or a special dessert, just something simple but fun.

This year I decided I needed some new decorations.  When I first started on Pinterest, this super cute Rosette Kissing Ball from The Idea Room was one of the very first things I pinned.  487 pins later and I'm finally getting it done. :)  Yeah!


Supplies:
Roll(s) of crepe paper
styrofoam ball
hot glue

Tear strips of crepe paper about 24" long.  Fold them in half, or to about 3/4", then start rolling.  It took me an entire roll of crepe paper just for this one.  I rolled up the beginning just a little, and then started twisting and rolling, twist, and roll, just like you do for fabric flowers.  Then glue it onto the ball.  You could also just do a simple roll.  Play around and see what you like.  My only advice, you might want to do them all at once, I ended up doing it over several days.  When I first started, my roses look quite different from the ones I did at the end. 
These are the first couple of days - bigger, but more flat roses.
This is how I ended, smaller but stand up more.  These were my favorite, but I think it took more roses this way.
If you have holes, just roll a little scrap, fold it in half and stuff it in.
Now make a bajillion more.  Easy Peesy! lol  Seriously, this took me forever, maybe because I did it in little spurts here and there, and then a good couple hours yesterday.  So put on a good movie or two and have fun!  I'm hoping to get a white one and a red one done before Valentine's Day, too.  We'll see if that happens.

This post was featured by:
  Lovely Crafty Home 

Pin It

31 comments:

Unknown said...

This is beautiful!

Mamma Mia said...

Well, that turned out beautiful. So sorry about your never receiving the flowers or balloons at school. What a bad mother I was! I know you have made up for it with your girls.

Kimberly T. said...

Mom, the flowers and balloons weren't from their mothers, they were from boyfriends. :) You did send balloons and flowers other times, though. And now that I think about it, I don't thing I've ever sent my girls flowers to school.

tickledpinkwithrosesandpearls.com said...

Hi! I'm stopping in from I can't stop crafting.
I LOVE the topiary!
I just might have to get to work on one today!
Just lovely!
Michele

Natasha in Oz said...

I just pinned this the other day-yours looks amazing! Good on you for making something you pinned!

My weekly Pinterest party is on now-please pop by if you have 5 minutes. I would be honoured if you could join in and link up this post!

Best wishes,
Natasha @ 5 Minutes Just for Me

Unknown said...

This is Gorgeous! Love the color and the etail of each flowers! Also.. I featured your hand creme and lip balm on my blog @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2012/02/pink-hippo-party-66.html
Hope you stop by and check it out~

Christine said...

I love it!!!!! It really turned out amazing!!!!

Christine
thediydreamer.blogspot.com

Debbie said...

I love it! I am going to be hosting Tuesday Pinterest Copycat blog party at my site. Who knew a little thing called Pinterest would unleash this craftyness in me! I now host girls night out making things that we love on Pinterest. I now have my own ideas too ;-)

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

That rose ball is gorgeous! I'm working on a couple of these and you are right, they are dragging on forever. Love how yours came out!

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

This is so pretty!! That's amazing that it was made with crepe paper....very impressive!! Would be delighted for you to link this up at Mop It Up Mondays: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/02/mop-it-up-mondays-party-2.html
{HUGS},
kristi

Unknown said...

That turned out just gorgeous!! What a beautiful project; I'm so glad you shared at Shine on Fridays!

Unknown said...

This is so pretty! Love it!!

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful! I'll have to try and make one. Thank you for sharing. Pat

Sweetened by Kagi said...

This is so beautiful!

Mindie Hilton said...

Beautiful thanks for sharing at Bacon Time.

Liberty said...

I wish i could just buy one from you!! hances are I won't have time to make it!
BLessings
http://bit.ly/xabvOm

Michelle said...

Love the Valentine decoration idea! What is a kissing ball though? Do you kiss when you stand near it like kissing under the mistletoe?

Simply Tasheena said...

Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing!

Mrs. Delightful
ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Little City Farm said...

I have this one pinned as well but have yet to get around to making it. Yours turned out great and I really love the two different styles of the roses. Awesome job. Thanks so much for sharing at our Link It Up Thursday party.

Jen Lossing, Artistic Abode Designs said...

This is really cute. I don't usually decorate for Valentines (don't really know why?) but after seeing this, I might have to start. Great job!

The Style Sisters said...

This is so cool! Great idea...come link up to Centerpiece Wednesday on my blog and share you ideas.

Karin

Unknown said...

Worth the effort! It's lovely! I would love to have you share it at my party...going on now!

Anonymous said...

What i do not understood is in reality how you are now not really much more neatly-liked than you might be now. You're so intelligent. You recognize therefore significantly in the case of this topic, produced me individually believe it from numerous varied angles. Its like women and men aren't involved until it is one thing to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your own stuffs nice. Always care for it up!
Sealed Power 571CP Engine Piston

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

These is gorgeous

Thanks for linking up to Serenity Saturday Link Party!
Hope you can join me again tomorrow

Natasha xx

www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

This turned out so lovely! I have your blog pinned to try this for a spring topiary. Thanks for sharing!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Love this!! I just made one last week out of material, so easy and fun!
Thanks for linking up

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

This is SO gorgeous!! The crepe paper is so bright pink--perfect for V-day! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Lindsay said...

Just wanted to let you know that I featured this today from the Show & Share party. Thanks for linking up!

http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2012/02/show-share-26-features.html

Unknown said...

Gorgeous!!! XO, Aimee

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

Love the pink! SO beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday! Hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day!

Katie said...

These are beautiful and I love that you made each one instead of just hot gluing something together...like I probably would've. Thank you for joining us at A Crafty Soiree, I've featured your project in the newest one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...