Friday, May 11, 2012

Thrifty Decorating - My Boys Room

Last week in this post about The Avengers, I told you we are big super hero fans here at our house.  I also told you I'd share with you my boys' super hero room.  It was not a big expensive redo, in fact it's been very thrifty.

My favorite part of their room, aside from the cute boys themselves, is this gallery wall.

There dresser has never been this clean since. :)  We need to replace this dresser now, it's too small for their clothes now, they're growing up and getting taller.  Decorating is a never ending process, isn't it?
Anyway, these awesome super hero pictures are old comic book covers, well, copies that were a calendar.  When my sister, Leslie, and I went to visit my other sister, Kristen, in Colorado a couple of years ago we went shopping in Boulder one day.  While walking around, we stumbled across this cool calendar and since both our boys were very into super heroes, it immediately caught our eye.  However, it was a little pricey, so we left it.  By the time we were clear down to the end of the whole shopping area and waiting for a table for dinner, we decided we did want it. lol  So while Kristen and her family kept waiting, Leslie and I ran back down to the store and bought it, planning on sharing it with this purpose in mind.  I know, random story, but I just love my sisters, and every time I look at these pictures it reminds me of our fun weekend.
Kristen, Leslie, and Me in 2010
Here's a close up of the pictures so you can see how totally cool they are.

Along with these great super heroes, I wanted my boys to have some real heroes to look up to, so I found these posters:
This is right in their doorway.  Boy, it is really hard to take good photos of pictures.  Reflections are hard! 

This is my favorite, I just framed this one, too, and it hangs over their desk.  These are all scripture heroes - great men, great stories, plus they still have swords and stuff so the boys love them, too.  I got these prints from Real Hero Posters.  My older girls have some in their room, too, you can see them here.  I'm not affiliated with Real Hero Posters in any way, I just think they are awesome!!

This is the rest of their room.  Billy's shelf, filled with lego creations, beds with Superman and Spiderman bedding (just cheap Walmart sets, nothing expensive so we can change it later), and a tall bookshelf at the far end of the bed.  A shelf full of books plus three shelves for pirate lego boats and accessories.  In the spirit of keeping it real, I didn't even clean up the mess of legos under the bed.  Guess what Billy and Jon will be doing when they get home today. :)

So the moral of this post, calendars are a great, inexpensive way to have nice art work in your home.  Now is a great time of year to buy calendars as they are marked down considerably.  Calendars.com is one of my favorite places to buy calendars.  There are calendars for every interest and every theme and decor.  So next time you need some new art work for whatever room you're decorating, check into calendars first.

This post was featured by:







6 comments:

Laura said...

Those look great! What an awesome idea!

Leslie said...

I love that picture of the three of us. That was such a fun trip! I'm glad we walked all the way back to get the calendar. The boys love those prints.

Sarah said...

Great idea! Glad I found your blog & I'm now a GFC follower.

I'd love to have you visit my blog when you get a chance :)

http://craftingandcreativity.blogspot.ca/

Sarah

Little City Farm said...

Great ideas all the way around. Thanks for sharing at our party this week.

bethJ said...

I like it! Have you seen the calendars here? http://calendars.com.au/all-categories/kids.html. I love using calendars because they're beautiful yet inexpensive.

Great Salaknib said...

Hi Beth! Yes, the kids calendars at Calendar Club are truly worth purchasing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...